AN EMANCIPATION SYNAGOGUE
In 1490 Abramo Vitale de Sacerdoti was the first Jews allowed to settle to run a loan-bank in town, at the time under the Duchy of Milan. In the centuries that followed his family was to play a prominent role both in the Community and in the city. When the city came under Savoy rule (1707) the events regarding the Jewish Community involved also those of other areas of Piedmont. From 1723 to 1848 Jewish segregation in ghetto was imposed. A large synagogue, after the Emancipation, was opened in 1871.