A TOWN AT THE HEART OF BATTLE
Jews settled in Casale Monferrato in the late 15° century. The town was part of the feudal Marquisate of Monferrato, ruled by Paleologi. In 1536 the town passed to the Gonzaga, Dukes of Mantua, and then to the Gonzaga Nevers. In 1708 it was annexed to the Duchy of Savoy. For almost two centuries the Monferrato area was plagued by wars. In 1741 the Savoy enclosed the Jews in the ghetto. The Emancipation arrived with Charles Albert of Savoy in 1848.