THE POPE’S JEWS IN TOWN
A group of Provencal Jews settled in Cuneo by the early 15th century. Others followed from Avignon, descendants of the so-called “Juifs du Pape” (Pope’s Jews). By 1436 the group had already been forced to live only in one quarter. The same quarter was chosen in 1724 to became ghetto. Despite the legal restrictions imposed, it was still possible to maintain good relations with the towns people, with whom Jewish community had gone through the most difficult times, especially during the seven sieges that were imposed on the city.