A COMMUNITY BORN UNDER AUSTRIAN RULE
Having settled in Habsburg-ruled Gorizia in the 16th century, the Jewish group looked to Austria until 1918. In 1698 the Jews were confined to the ghetto where they were allowed to acquire ownership of the buildings in the area. In 1699 the first oratory was organized in the same place where later was erected the fine synagogue that still exists today. The old cemetery is located in Valdirose (Rožna Dolina), in the territory of Slovenia.