Once it was finally emancipated, the Jewish Community resolved to build a synagogue unencumbered by the constraints that had characterised the previous period. The new synagogue, of grand proportions, would celebrate the full integration of the Community with civil society and represent the presence of the Jews in the city.
A plot of land was purchased in the urban growth area to the north, which was previously occupied by the 17th-Century ramparts that had been demolished in the 19th Century. After an initial call for tenders was inconclusive, the building project was finally assigned to the architect Alessandro Antonelli, who began construction works in 1863. The approved project consisted in a building with a square plan and a 47-meter-high barrel-vaulted roof. Accommodating up to 1,500 people, the vast hall of the synagogue would occupy the first floor, while the ground floor below would house the administration, the schools and the other community services. However, the considerable changes that Antonelli made to the height of the building during construction added greatly to the costs and, in 1869, the Community was forced to suspend works for the first time.
The development of this enterprising work was now of public interest, since the Community did not have the means to implement any further changes. Having now become unsuitable for the requirements of the Community, in 1878 the building was purchased by the City of Turin, which decided to use it as a museum for the ‘National commemoration of King Victor Emmanuel II’. With the amount paid to the Community a new plot of land was bought in the urban growth area outside Porta Nuova, and here, in 1884, the present-day Synagogue of Turin was built. The Mole Antonelliana was never used as a synagogue. It was completed in 1889 and, with a height of 167.5 meters, it is today considered to be the symbol of Turin.
Via Montebello, 20