A few years after the large Tempio Maggiore was opened, a new synagogue was built in 1914. The aim was to cater to a Jewish population that was now distributed differently throughout the city, having left the ghetto area after Emancipation, or who had arrived in the city from other Italian cities in that period.
The sanctuary presents some of the typical features of synagogues from the Emancipation era, particularly in how the internal elements are arranged, and in various decorative elements.
The tevah and aron are brought together in a single space, enclosed by a balustrade and placed at the end of the hall, straight down from the entrance. Facing them, two sectors of pews in parallel rows occupy the central space of the hall. The women’s gallery is situated above the entrance.
The Oratorio Di Castro also contains furnishings which previously belonged to the Cinque Scole: the candelabra on the tevah, the ner tamid and the lamps suspended in front of the aron are all from the Scola Castigliana. Meanwhile, the stained glass windows are modern, made in 1991 by Aldo Di Castro.
Since 1972 the basement rooms have housed an Ashkenazi rite synagogue, designed by the architect Angelo Di Castro. The candelabra and the gilded wooden doors of the aron are also from the Scola Castigliana.
Via Cesare Balbo, 33 – 00184 Rome
Visits subject to booking:
tel. + 39 06 68400635/6 – + 39 329 9543500