The synagogue of Bologna, which was destroyed by air raids in 1944, was rebuilt after the war and completed in 1954.
It was only following the Napoleonic invasion that the Jews had been able to settle in the city once again. For several years they had used small oratories, mostly set up in private residential spaces. As soon as the chance arose, the community purchased the building at 19, Via Gombruti (today’s number 9) and commissioned the engineer Guido Lisi to build a synagogue there, which was inaugurated in 1877.
In the early 20th century the community decided to further expand and improve the temple. The task was entrusted to renowned architect, Attilio Muggia. He designed a hall with the same floor plan as the previous structure, with a groin-vaulted ceiling culminating in a skylight, and Art Nouveau-style decorations on the walls. The new temple was officially opened in 1928.
After the war the reconstruction project was headed by engineer Guido Muggia (Attilio’s son), who achieved a modern interpretation of the characteristics of the previous building.
The hall has a large barrel-vault roof; running the length of it on either side of the ground floor are two ambulatories, with the loggias of the matroneum on the upper level. Originally, the tevah was placed between the balustrade of the aron and the pews were lined up in parallel rows facing it. Today, the tevah has been relocated to the opposite wall of aron and the pews face the central space.
The façade and main entrance give onto Via Finzi.
Guided tours available, booking required.
Contacts: tel. +39 051 232066