THE TOWN OF JEWISH DOCTORS
The Community of Merano was originally a separate section of the Community of Hohenems, an Austrian town on the border with Switzerland, which was affected the 19th century by an economic crisis that prompted many Jews to move elsewhere. Merano was a center for treating tubercolosis and many of the hospitals and sanatoria were organized by Jewish doctors. The synagogue was opened in 1901. It is the only existing synagogue in the region Trentino-Alto Adige.