A GREAT SYNAGOGUE FOR EMANCIPATED JEWS
In Milan, capital of the Duchy of the Visconti and later of the Sforzas, Jews were permitted to reside for no more than three consecutive days. This custom persisted until 1597, when all Jews were forced to leave the Duchy of Milan completely. They were to return again at the beginning of the 1800’s, when they formed a separate section of the community of Mantua. In 1890 the Jewish community engaged one of the most illustrious architects of the time, Luca Beltrami, to design the new central synagogue.