AN UNIVERSITY ALSO FOR JEWS
The first record of a Jewish presence dates back to the 13thcentury. For as long as the city was ruled by the Carraresi family (1318 –1405) the group lived in peaceful conditions. When the city was taken over by the Venetian Republic (1405), this caused a worsening of conditions. Immigration from Pisa, Rome, Bologna and Ancona began in the second half of the 14th century, later from Germany, Spain and the Levant. The newcomers were students at the city’s Rabbinical Academy and at the University Faculty of Medicine, the only university in Europe to accept Jewish students.