THE LEADING SICILIAN GROUP
A Jewish group lived in Palermo since the 6th century and remained there until the expulsion (1492). This was the largest, leading Jewish community on Sicily. Jews worked mainly as weavers, dyers and merchants. Palermo was a cosmopolitan city, an emporium of interaction between Muslims and Christians. Each of its quarters had specific economic and social features. The Jewish quarter was Harat al Yahud. A little group lives again in town.