THE LITTLE JERUSALEM
Pitigliano was the first welcoming stop for Jews who were fleeing the Papal States following the 1555 decree. This town also became a destination for Tuscan Jews when the ghettos were established in Florence and Siena in 1570. This rural town was for some years a “land of refuge” where Jews could live in peace until the 1622 when Jews were forced into the ghetto. Pitigliano is still known as “Little Jerusalem”.