THE LEADER COMMUNITY IN PIEDMONT
A small group settled in Turin by 1424. Since then Jews have always lived in town. Their life was governed by the “Savoy Statute”, introduced by Amedeus VIII, Duke of Savoy. In 1679 it was decided a ghetto should be created. This was the first and only ghetto in Piedmont until 1723. After 1848 the ghetto emptied and, in the euphoria of the acquired freedom, the Jews decided to build a synagogue symbol of their Emancipation: the Mole Antonelliana.