The synagogue in Senigallia was built in 1634 following the institution of the ghetto to replace the one previously in use, situated in Via Arsilli, just outside the area of reclusion.
The current layout of the prayer room is the result of two major renovations. In 1799, after the French had left the city, the houses of the ghetto and the synagogue were looted and devastated by Sanfedist troops backed by the populace. The highly valuable interior furnishings were lost. When in 1801 the Community, which had been displaced to nearby cities, was forced to return to the ghetto, the synagogue was given new furnishings, which can still be seen today. The new aron was in wood with a cupola that may have been partly made from an existing element. On the opposite side, in keeping with the customary bifocal arrangement, stood a raised tevah, supported by columns and accessed by two symmetrical double-ramp staircases. The semi-circular balustrade in carved and gilded wood that encircles the podium may perhaps have escaped the ravages of the late 18th Century.
After the 1930 earthquake the prayer room had once again to be rebuilt. For safety reasons, in fact, it was established that all the houses would have to be lowered to only two floors and the synagogue, which at that time was on the top floor, had to be transferred to the lower floor and adapted to fit in the new area.
Therefore, a simpler tevah was used, to replace the previous large platform. The antique balustrade was repositioned in front of the aron where, in fact, a second tevah has been set up. The room was also furnished with other pieces belonging to the complex, such as study tables and several benches placed in the central area.
Via dei Commercianti, 20
Jewish Community of Ancona
Tel. +39 071 202638
Not accessible for visitors with reduced mobility