Taormina always had a very small Jewish community. It is mentioned in various documents dated from 1415 on. There were frequent episodes of racial intolerance from Dominican friars. They twice obliged Jews to displace the synagogue and the cemetery because they were disturbed from their loud prayers. The Jewish quarter was in the area to the west of the Cathedral. The memory of their presence lives on in the place names, with Vicolode gli Ebrei and Via Giudecca. The antiquities gallery of the Greek-Roman Theatre (Via Teatro Greco, 40 – tel. +39 0942 24291) has a brick bearing a Greek inscription probably done by some Cristians respectful of Saturday.