The first Jewish cemetery
in Mondovì dates back to a few years after the ghetto
‘s foundation; in preceding centuries the community used the Jewish cemetery of Cuneo
. Mondovì’s Jews were granted a field located in the upper part of the city, beneath the fortress bastions, and remained in use until 1865. Later an area next to the municipal cemetery was allocated and gravestones from the old cemetery were duly moved to this new location. An intriguing inscription on a woman’s gravestone bears reference probably to this move, alluding to the suffering caused to the deceased.
The field is still used today and is characterised by a triangular layout with simple graves, in accordance with Jewish tradition.
In 1964 a plaque was erected at the beginning of the avenue leading to the entrance, in commemoration of Jews deported to Nazi extermination camps.
Viale del Cimitero, 23 – Mondovì Breo (CN)
On the left side of the municipal cemetery a dirt road leads to the Jewish section; it is necessary to take the key from the case located at the main entrance.
from April 1st to October 15th: from 8.00 am to 6.30 pm;
from October 16th to November 4th: from 7.00 am to 6.30 pm
from November 5th to March 31th: from 8.00 am to 5.30 pm.
Jewish section closed on Saturdays and Jewish holidays
Contacts: tel. +39 0174 42472
Guided tours on request:
Jewish Community of Turin