The museum, curated and run by the local Amici di Israele Association, gives an account of past Jewish presence in the area of Gorizia, from the earliest settlements to segregation in the ghetto, from the Emancipation to the two World Wars, thus preserving the memory of an essential part of the city’s history and providing accurate knowledge of the synagogue, which still exists and can be visited as part of the museum tour.
On display are a few local historical objects (many were stolen or lost during the war), as well as graphic panels, historic photographs and small reconstructions.
Specific labels identify prominent figures in the history of the Community. One room is dedicated to Gorizia-born Jewish philosopher Carlo Michelstaedter (1887-1910), whose most important paintings are on display.
As today the Jewish Community of Gorizia is almost non-existent it has become a section of the Trieste Jewish Community. The synagogue, which was transferred to the city, is occasionally used for ritual ceremonies, and is available for events organized by the museum.
Via Ascoli, 19
Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5.00 pm to 7.00 pm
Second Sunday of the month from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm
Closed: Saturdays and Jewish holidays, Catholic holidays and national holidays
tel. / fax +39 0481-532115 (during opening hours)
tel. +39 0481-33226 (meal times)
tel. +39 349-2811492
E mail firstname.lastname@example.org
By reservation, guided tours may be organized outside normal opening hours.
Exhibition: ground floor with two steps
Synagogue: first floor without elevator